About Tirunelveli LPA (Tirunelveli Local Planning Authority)
Tirunelveli LPA (Tirunelveli Local Planning Authority) was constituted by the Government in the G.O.Ms.No.759 H&UD Dept dated 01.09.93 with the present composition of chairman and the member-secretary. District Collector as Chairman and the Regional Deputy Director of Town and Country Planning, Tirunelveli region as the Member Secretary. The other members of the local planning authority have been appointed by the Government in the G.O. Ms. No.360, Housing and urban development department, dated: 16.11.2010.
Tamil Nadu Government in the G.O.Ms.No.448, Housing and urban development department, dated: 16.6.93 declared the Tirunelveli local planning area the under section 10(4) of Town and Country Planning Act, 1971. The local planning area comprises of the entire Tirunelveli municipal corporation area and certain village panchayats surrounding it (vicinity area). List showing the towns (in the corporation area) and the village panchayats (in the vicinity area) included in the local planning area is attached. The extent of the Tirunelveli Local Planning Area is 351.5736 Square kilometers.
Objectives of Tirunelveli LPA (Tirunelveli Local Planning Authority)
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, Tirunelveli LPA operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilization of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.