About SADA Doon Valley (Doon Valley Special Area Development Authority)
SADA Doon Valley (Doon Valley Special Area Development Authority) is located in the middle of the Ganges and Yamuna, is headed by the Dehradun and Tehri districts of the Garhwal division, under the Uttar Pradesh Special Area Development Authority Act 1986, Government Notification No. 198/11-5-1987-59 DA/ 86 dated Corrected on March 11, 1987 and again 3240 / 11-5-88-66 DA/88 dated May 19, 1988. The Doon Valley is an unusually wide, long valley within the Shivalik Hills in the Lower Himalayas, in the state of Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh, India. The valley lies within the city of Dehradun, the capital of Uttarakhand state.
The Doon valley lies between two intermittent ranges of the Himalayas. It is bounded on all sides by mountains, with one range running from the west to the east (with Mussorie at the centre) in a semi-circular arc; and one running at the south from Poanta Sahib to Haridwar. The valley also forms a watershed between the Yamuna and Ganges river systems. In fact the Yamuna and Ganges are closest to each other as they pass the Doon valley, with the Yamuna forming the western boundary and the Ganges the east. It runs 75 km long from west to east.
Objectives of SADA Doon Valley (Doon Valley Special Area Development Authority)
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, SADA Doon Valley operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilization of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.