Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan Benefits & Details of PMSMA
Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) has been launched by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW), Government of India. The program aims to provide assured, comprehensive and quality antenatal care, free of cost, universally to all pregnant women on the 9th of every month.
- PMSMA guarantees a minimum package of antenatal care services to women in their 2nd / 3rd trimesters of pregnancy at designated government health facilities
- The program follows a systematic approach for engagement with private sector which includes motivating private practitioners to volunteer for the campaign developing strategies for generating awareness and appealing to the private sector to participate in the Abhiyan at government health facilities.
- While India has made considerable progress in the reduction of maternal and infant mortality, every year approximately 44000 women still die due to pregnancy-related causes and approximately 6.6 Lakh infants die within the first 28 days of life.
- Many of these deaths are preventable and many lives can be saved if quality care is provided to pregnant women during their antenatal period and high risk factors such as severe anemia, pregnancy-induced hypertension etc are detected on time and managed well.
Goal of the Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan
Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan envisages to improve the quality and coverage of Antenatal Care (ANC) including diagnostics and counseling services as part of the Reproductive Maternal Neonatal Child and Adolescent Health (RMNCH+A) Strategy.
Objectives of the Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan
- Ensure at least one antenatal checkup for all pregnant women in their second or third trimester by a physician/specialist
- Improve the quality of care during ante-natal visits. This includes ensuring provision of the following services:
- All applicable diagnostic services
- Screening for the applicable clinical conditions
- Appropriate management of any existing clinical condition such as Anemia, Pregnancy induced hypertension, Gestational Diabetes etc.
- Appropriate counseling services and proper documentation of services rendered
- Additional service opportunity to pregnant women who have missed ante-natal visits
- Identification and line-listing of high risk pregnancies based on obstetric/ medical history and existing clinical conditions.
- Appropriate birth planning and complication readiness for each pregnant woman especially those identified with any risk factor or co morbid condition.
- Special emphasis on early diagnosis, adequate and appropriate management of women with malnutrition.
- Special focus on adolescent and early pregnancies as these pregnancies need extra and specialized care
Main features of Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan
- Scheme is applicable only for the pregnant women
- The free checkup will take place on 9th of every month
- All kinds of medical checkups under this scheme will be completely free
- Tests will took place at the medical centers, government and private hospitals and private clinics across the country
- Women will be marked differently based on their health problems so that doctors can easily detect the problem.
Thus, if each and every pregnant woman in India is examined by a Medical officer and appropriately investigated at least once during the PMSMA, the Abhiyan can play a critical and crucial role in reducing the number of maternal deaths in our country. So, if implemented well, it can prove to be a game changer and a sturdy stepping stone for achievement of the sustainable development goals.