Patiala Master Plan 2031 has been created for Patiala. Patiala is district headquarter and an important city located in Malwa region of South Eastern part of Punjab. The city is well connected by roads and is located at a distance of about 75 km towards southwest from Chandigarh. It lies 25 km away from the Grand Trunk Road (i.e. National Highway No.1) and is about 250 km from Delhi.
It is well connected with important urban centers of Punjab namely Rajpura, Sirhind, Nabha, Sangrur, Ludhiana and some important urban centers of Haryana by the network of Highways and District roads. Besides National Highway No. 64, two State Highways no. 8 and 10 along with other major roads converge at Patiala. The city is linked with railway network as Rajpura branch railway line passes through the city. The city is also connected by air as it has a Civil Aviation Club.
VISION PATIALA MASTER PLAN 2031:
To maintain Patiala as the centre of excellence of educational and sports activities at the state, national and international level and to strengthen its role as the destination of heritage and cultural tourism of Northern India by augmenting regional connectivity and enhanced quality of life through improved physical and social infrastructure in an environmentally sustainable manner.
The following objectives have been recommended for Patiala Master Plan 2031 for L.P.A Patiala:
- To propose and improve regional rail, road connectivity of the city so that it not only gets connected with important cities of state but with New Delhi as well.
- To make land allocation in an environmentally sustainable manner.
- To make land available for public purposes.
- To effectively plan the traffic and transportation within L.P.A and to minimize intra city travel by creating self contained neighborhoods.
- To facilitate creation of an efficient, comfortable and cost effective road based rapid mass transportation system so as to minimize use of personal vehicles.
- To keep intact green cover of the city and create city forest and parks on the available govt. land within the city.
- To identify man made architectural and natural heritage and to make heritage conservation as an integral part of the city planning and development process.
- To help establish Patiala as a major heritage tourism destination.
- To maintain and preserve existing drains.
- To plan L.P.A as an integrated single unit.
Other objectives related to urban management, urban finance and local economic development etc. are outside the scope of Patiala Master Plan 2031 and hence not deliberated.