About NKDA New Town Kolkata (New Town Kolkata Development Authority)
NKDA New Town Kolkata (New Town Kolkata Development Authority) has been constituted under The New Town Kolkata Development Authority Act, 2007 (The West Bengal Act XXX of 2007) for rendering various civic services and amenities within New Town, Kolkata and it has come into effect since November, 2008. The New Town Kolkata Development Authority Act, 2007, was passed by the West Bengal Legislature and the assent thereto of the President of India and it was published in the Kolkata Gazette Extraordinary of the 30th June, 2008 vide Notification No. 1088-L dated 27th June, 2008. This Act has come into effect, retrospectively, from 28th December, 2006 and it extends to the whole New Town Kolkata area as described in Schedule-I appended to this Act. The Development Authority has been vested with the various powers and functions under the said Act. It is a transitional arrangement in the way of creation of an Urban Local Body (ULB).
Objectives of NKDA New Town Kolkata (New Town Kolkata Development Authority)
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, NKDA New Town Kolkata operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilization of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.