About Mamallapuram LPA (Mamallapuram Local Planning Authority)
Mamallapuram LPA (Mamallapuram Local Planning Authority) is a nodal agency responsible for Mamallapuram Region. Mamallapuram, also known as Mahabalipuram, is a town in Kancheepuram district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, 58 kilometers south of the city of Chennai. The Mamallapuram Local Planning Area comprises of 57 Villages including two Panchayat Unions and one town Panchayat out of these, 11 Villages lie on the coastal belt.
The Government of Tamil Nadu notified the following Villages as Mamallapuram Local planning Area under section 10 (IV) of Town and Country planning Act 1971 in G.O.Ms. No.932 RD& LA dated 12.05.76. Subsequently the Government notified the formation of New Town Development area comprising of Mamallapuram Town and Poonjeri Village in G.O.Ms.No.1454 H & U.D dated 23.10.78.
Objectives of Mamallapuram LPA (Mamallapuram Local Planning Authority)
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, Mamallapuram LPA operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilization of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.