About GMDA Guwahati (Guwahati Metropolitan Development Authority)
GMDA Guwahati (Guwahati Metropolitan Development Authority) was established in 1992 as per Guwahati Metropolitan Development Authority Act 1985 (amended). It replaced the erstwhile Guwahati Development Authority constituted in 1962 under the Town and Country Planning Act, 1959 (amended). In order to ensure planned development of the Metropolitan area, GMDA has adopted the Master Plan and Zoning Regulations prepared by the Town and Country Planning Department, Govt. of Assam in the year 1992 and is now in the process of preparing a new Master Plan and Zoning Regulations.
As per section 126 of this GMDA Act, with the constitution of this Authority, the relevant section of the GMC Act, 1969 (Assam Act-1 of 1973) ,Assam Town and Country Planning Act, 1959 (Assam Act-I of 1960) , Assam Municipal Act, 1956 (Assam Act-IV of 1957) and Assam Panchayat Act 1972 ,along with its amendments up to date and rules and regulation there under in consistent with provisions of this Act cease to operate within the territorial limit of Guwahati Metropolitan Area.
Functions of GMDA Guwahati (Guwahati Metropolitan Development Authority)
- Planning: Preparation of Master Plan and Zoning Regulation.
- Development: Preparation and execution of development schemes. To carry out or cause to be carried out such works as are contemplated in the Master Plan.
- Regulation and Control: To regulate and control the development though statutory plans and other measures.
- Co-ordination: To co-ordinate development activities of other public agencies operating within Guwahati Metropolitan Area.
Objectives of GMDA Guwahati (Guwahati Metropolitan Development Authority)
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, GMDA Guwahati operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilization of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.