About Greater Mohali Area Development Authority (GMADA Greater Mohali)
Considering the economic growth potential of Chandigarh & the surrounding areas under GMADA Greater Mohali in the coming years, it is anticipated that the economic growth will drive urbanization and can spur further growth. With this growing urbanization and congestion of existing cities, GMADA conceived the idea of developing a new independent and self-sustaining city to cater to this spillover of the projected growth of Chandigarh and Mohali over the next 20 years.
GMADA Greater Mohali has mapped out a vision towards a city of excellence for the greater Mohali area and under this vision the township of Mullanpur is envisaged to rise as a distinctive and sustainable playground of the Greater Mohali Area that will enhance quality living and manage the overall growth. With this in mind, GMADA Greater Mohali in 2007, appointed Jurong Consultants Private Ltd. Singapore to complete a comprehensive integrated master plan for the new township of Mullanpur. Being in vicinity of Chandigarh and proposed with a world class infrastructure, this Local Planning Area (LPA) has been renamed “New Chandigarh”, in the Punjab Regional & Town Planning & Development Board meeting held on 28-5-2013.
Objectives of Greater Mohali Region Development Authority (GMADA Greater Mohali)
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, GMADA’s operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilization of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.