DigiLocker is a “Digital Locker” is one of the key initiatives under the Digital India Program – External website that opens in a new window. DigiLocker has been already released by the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY), Govt. of India. Digital Locker is aimed at minimizing the usage of physical documents and enable sharing of e-documents across agencies.
With the help of this Portal, the sharing of the e-documents will be done through registered repositories thereby ensuring the authenticity of the documents online. Residents can also upload their own electronic documents and digitally sign them using the e-sign facility. These digitally signed documents can be shared with Government organizations or other entities.
Objectives of Digital Locker
- Enable digital empowerment of residents by providing them with DigiLocker on the cloud
- Minimize the use of physical documents
- Ensure Authenticity of the e-documents and thereby eliminating usage of fake documents
- Secure access to Govt. issued documents through a web portal and mobile application for residents
- Reduce administrative overhead of Govt. departments and agencies and make it easy for the residents to receive services
- Anytime, anywhere access to the documents
- Enable e-Signing of documents and make them available electronically and online
Digital Locker System
- Collection of e-documents and exposing a standard API for secure real-time access
- Online mechanism for requesters to access an e- document in a uniform way from various repositories in real-time
- Dedicated personal storage space, linked to each resident’s Aadhar
- To securely store e-documents
- To store URI link of e-documents
- e- Sign online service to digitally sign documents
- Digital Locker directory list of registered Issuers, repositories, gateways, policies, guidelines and forms
- Dashboard for providing real time transaction volumes of the e-documents accessed
How Digital Locker Works
- Issuers such as CBSE, Income Tax Department issue certificates to the citizens in electronic format through DigiLocker
- Citizens can share these certificates with other agencies that need these certificates as supporting documents to avail various services
How to Use digital Locker
- Issuer departments issue documents to citizens in their Digital Locker using citizen’s Aadhar number
- Resident can also upload documents in their Digital Locker and e- Sign them.
- Residents can share these documents with requesters by sharing a link to the document to the email address of the requester.
- After registering on the Digital Locker, issuers can upload the document in a standard XML format in the designated repository using repository service provider API.
- A Requester needs to first register with an access gateway to onboard Digital Locker system.
- A Requester can use document URIs to securely retrieve the documents from the repository through an access Gateway.