About BIAAPA Bangalore International Airport Area (Bangalore International Airport Area Planning Authority)
BIAAPA Bangalore International Airport Area (Bangalore International Airport Area Planning Authority) is a nodal agency responsible for Bangalore International Airport Area Region. It is an international airport serving Bangalore, the capital of the Indian state of Karnataka. Spread over 4,000 acres (1,600 ha), it is located about 40 kilometers (25 mi) north of the city near the village of Devanahalli. It is owned and operated by Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL), a public–private consortium.
The airport opened in May 2008 as an alternative to increased congestion at HAL Airport, the original primary commercial airport serving the city. The airport consists of a single runway and passenger terminal, which handles both domestic and international operations. A second runway is being constructed and is expected to be operational by September 2019, while it is in the early stages of construction. In addition, there is a cargo village and three cargo terminals. The airport serves as a hub for Air Asia India, Alliance Air, Jet Airways, Indi Go, Air India and Spice Jet.
Objectives of BIAAPA Bangalore International Airport Area (Bangalore International Airport Area Planning Authority)
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, BIAAPA Bangalore International Airport Area operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilization of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.