Bettiah Master Plan 2030 has been created for Bettiah. Bettiah Municipal Council (BMC) was established as a municipality in 1869 and is the district headquarters for West Champaran District located in the state of Bihar, 225 Km north-west of the state capital Patna. The total area under the jurisdiction of Municipal Council is about 8.01 Km it had a population of 132,896 persons as per Census 2011. The population of Bettiah is estimated to be 190203 by the end of 2030.
In sugarcane production, District West Champaran is top most among all districts in the state. For the production of wheat in the Bihar state district West Champaran is the third highest. State productivity of maize is higher than average national production.
The city of Bettiah has a rich culture and history, related to the Indian National Movement. The Father of Nation, Gandhi ji started the ’Satyagrah Movement’ from here in 1917.
Raxaul is the fifth in tourist in-flow in the state. Bettiah city is the tourist transit point for the tourist going to Raxaul and Kathmandu via Bettiah.
Vision of Bettiah Master Plan 2030
Bettiah is a significant city near the Indo-Nepal border and the state of Uttar Pradesh. The city’s regional potential is in agro-based products. Bettiah is an agricultural trade centre which is also known for manufacturing brass, metal-ware and leather goods. It also acts as a transit point for the tourists going to Kathmandu and Valmiki Nagar National Park.
The overarching objectives or Vision of the Bettiah Master Plan 2030 is to make Bettiah a sustainable city with strong economic base, while capitalizing its regional potential and strategic location.
The Vision of the Bettiah Master Plan 2030 was finalized as:
“To develop Bettiah as an Agro based Industrial Centre and as a Tourist Transit Point”
Hence, the identified vision forms the basis of sector-specific strategies adopted in framing the action plan.
Growth Strategies of Bettiah Master Plan 2030
- Assure adequate and equitable water supply daily and for reasonable length of time.
- Provide citywide coverage of sewerage and sanitation system to make it environmentally safe.
- Establish an effective rain water collection system thereby reducing mixing of rain and sullage water and reducing the incidence of water logging during monsoons.
- Establish and maintain an effective and sustainable waste management practice in the city.
- Improve the condition of roads and provide adequate, safe and user friendly public transportation in Bettiah.
- Service provision and universal access to all basic urban services at an affordable cost.