About ADA Asansol (Asansol Development Authority)
ADA Asansol (Asansol Development Authority) was formed in 1980 under West Bengal Town & Country Planning Act, 1979. Since its inception, there has been a considerable amount of developmental activity undertaken by ADA, Asansol Municipal Corporation (AMC) and other urban & rural local bodies. The development programs of ADA so far concentrated on the building of physical infrastructure and control of land use. The area under its jurisdiction is better known as Asansol Planning Area.
Asansol Planning Area is located on the western part West Bengal, sharing the state boundary on the western edge with Jharkhand and having district boundary on the south, east and north side. The geographical area is 1603 sq. km. comprising of 2 Municipal Corporations, 3 Municipalities and 8 C. D. Blocks. Asansol Planning Area is principally urban in character mainly due to the presence of coal mining and large industrial establishments. More than 77% of its total population (2.4 million) is urban. Interestingly about 88% of the district’s urban population resides in Asansol Planning Area as per 2011 census.
Objectives of ADA Asansol (Asansol Development Authority)
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, ADA Asansol operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilization of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.